Presenting your historical topic | HIS 104 American History to 1865 | Strayer University
Assignment 3:Presenting Your Historical Topic
Skill(s) Being Assessed:Problem Solving, Communication, Technology
Criteria for Success:In this assignment, you will:
- Effectively organize information throughout a presentation so that it follows a logical stream of thought and uses appropriate visuals that help to communicate the main ideas.
- Describe historical issues related to the topic and use evidence to support claims.
- Use evidence to make a clear connection between historical strategies and current issues related to the topic.
- Create an oral presentation that is clear, persuasive, and aligned with slide content.
- Use required sources and in-text citations and include a sources slide in SWS style.
What to submit/deliverables:PowerPoint presentation with voice-over in the Week 10 Assignment of Blackboard.
What is the value of doing this assignment?This assignment gives you an opportunity to practice the skills of communication, technology, and problem solving. It will show that you can use the work you completed earlier in the course and present it in a well-organized and clearly communicated presentation in PowerPoint. Communication, technology, and problem solving are universal skills and ones you will continue to refine as you progress throughout your career. This assignment asks you to use what you’ve learned throughout the course to gather credible evidence using your problem solving skills, form an argument using the critical thinking process, and present your argument using your communication and technology skills. The good news is that you’ve already laid the foundation with the webtext activities in Chapters 7, 8, and 9. This assignment will use what you started to format in PowerPoint in those activities to help you record your oral presentation and finalize your presentation.
Your goal for this assignment is to:Practice your communication, technology, and problem solving skills. You will do this by applying what you know about PowerPoint and effective oral communication.
What you need to complete this assignment:
- Your chosen topic and sources from Chapters 1–3 of the webtext.
- The argument you formed in Chapters 4–6 of the webtext.
- The PowerPoint presentation you created in Weeks 7–9.
- The PowerPoint presentation you finalized in Week 10 with your voice-over recording.
- Your completed assignment, uploaded and submitted to Assignment 3 in Week 10 of Blackboard.
Steps to complete:In Week 10, complete the assignment and submit it to the Week 10 Assignment 3 link in Blackboard using the following steps:
STEP 1:Review the scenario:
Imagine you represent your company at a service organization dealing with one of these two issues: Facing Economic Change or Engaging Civil Rights. Your supervisor has asked you to research information related to the history of one of these issues for your organization to help new employees and volunteers understand it better. Your predecessor already started a list of sample primary and secondary sources and collections of sources.
In this assignment, you will take the final step in creating your presentation to help new employees and volunteers understand how historical events can be applied to one of the issues currently affecting your organization.
STEP 2:Use the guidance in Chapters 7, 8, and 9 to build your PowerPoint presentation. The presentation should be 7–11 slides and incorporate the evidence and arguments from Assignments 1 and 2.
- Be certain you include:
- Title slide.
- Sources slide.
- Outline slide.
- Topic slide.
- Evidence slides with evidence and visuals.
- Slide that connects past events to current state for the topic focus you identified in Week 2.
STEP 3:Prepare notes for your oral presentation and add them to the presenter notes in PowerPoint.
STEP 4:Record a short (3–5 minute) presentation on your topic using the argument you created in Assignment 2 and the guidance provided in Chapter 10. Remember that your audience is new employees where you work.
STEP 5:Upload your assignment to Assignment 3 in Week 10 of Blackboard.
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.